AACS Opening New Lower School Near Upper School Campus in Severn
Posted 06/04/2014 09:13AM
From Rick Kempton, Superintendent
Thanks to God’s guidance and grace, and the continued confidence from our community, I’m very happy to announce that we’re growing! More specifically, in August of 2015 we will open our doors to a second Lower School campus near Severn. (The current Lower School will remain in Annapolis.) This is a new campus that will have one grade at each level from kindergarten through 5th grade. We are working through the final contract details and will announce the location shortly. Hint, we’ll be renting space in a beautiful church.
So, why are we opening a new Lower School? There are many reasons.
- Nurture our Culture – Our Christ-centered culture is what our community values the most about our school. To nurture and strengthen this culture we want to fill more of our Middle and Upper School with our own Lower School students. As of now, our Lower School is our smallest campus, Middle School is next, and our Upper School is the largest. This means that we are continually bringing in large numbers of new students at 6th and 9th grade. While we want to leave room for new students to join us at those points, we also want to expand our Lower School base to fill more Middle and Upper School seats with our own students.
- Original Plan – Opening another Lower School campus was the original plan when the Upper School campus was designed. In fact, the plan called for up to four Lower School campuses.
- We’re at Capacity - Our current Lower School is almost at capacity. This is a blessing and a testament to the great job that Nancy Pavlischek, her team, and our devoted parents have been doing at that campus. In the fall of 2014 we will be at the point of having to turn families away in some grades because of a lack of space. The new Lower School provides space that we actually NEED right now. We don’t want to turn away a growing number of families who are looking for the unique educational experience offered by AACS.
- Make Christian Education Available to More Families – While many small Christian schools are struggling to survive, or even closing, we’ve been blessed with the ability to survive the economic downturn while still offering an excellent and comprehensive program to our students. Our school is one of a kind. There is no other non-denominational Christian school in the area, and no Lower School like ours available to families in the north and west part of Anne Arundel County. Like a church plant, we want to make Christian education available to more.
We’ve studied this plan for a new Lower School very carefully over the past year and feel certain that it will be successful. Here are a few reasons why:
- The northwest region of Anne Arundel County is the fastest growing region of Anne Arundel County. We regularly receive calls and inquiries from families looking for a Lower School in the northwest region of the county. Parents of Lower School children tend to prefer local neighborhood schools and AACS wants to provide this for our community.
- We are the only K-12 non-denominational Christian school in our county, and we are the largest K-12 independent Christian school both in our county and in the state of Maryland. This attracts attention. We are able to offer a comprehensive educational experience and a Christ-centered culture. We believe our new school will be successful because there is no similar competition in that area and it will bring the option of a comprehensive Christian education to an un-served part of our county.
We are pleased, excited, and grateful for the opportunity to provide an excellent Christ-centered education to a growing number of Christian families in Anne Arundel and surrounding counties. We are starting a mailing list for families interested in this new campus. To join the mailing list, email email@example.com.